Follow TV Tropes
Smeargle's whole gimmick is learning other mons' moves by fighting them in battle, using its unique Sketch move—unlike Ditto, once it copies a move, it knows it permanently. It doesn't learn moves any other way. That's a weird thing to implement in Go, and I'm not sure how they plan to do it. Maybe they were waiting for PVP.
Yeah, Smeargle's method of learning new moves is odd, and I guess that Niantic were beating themselves up trying to figure out how to implement it (particularly because most of the gameplay doesn't support how Smeargle usually learns things).
(Also, while this goes into Elite Tweak, a more reliable way of teaching your Smeargle a move is to land in a Doubles battle, partner your Smeargle with something that knows the move in question, and have Smeargle use Sketch on that - it takes a little more setup, but it's much easier than hoping your opponent uses the right move at the right time.)
As for the missing Gen 3 'mons... Kecleon is a bit of a bear in that it can change types depending on whatever it just last got hit by. I don't think that's feasible; I think the more rational idea would just to release a version of Kecleon for each type (similar to how we can't change the type of Castform; we just catch it in a given form and it stays that way with corresponding type), and have it so that a given type of Kecleon only spawns in the corresponding weather (so Fire only spawns in clear weather, Fighting only spawns in cloudy weather, and so on).
Clamperl and its two evolutions is the really odd one, because we already know how the game handles branching evolution - either you have a random change like Eevee, or you have separate buttons depending on item use like the various 'mons that got alternate evolutions in Gen 2 (e.g. Slowpoke).
In regards to Gen 4 unreleased non-Legendaries... hrm... I'm wondering if they're going to make the two different styles of Shellos/Gastrodon be regional exclusives (which, given how they are in the games, would make perfect sense). Also, interesting to note, almost all of the unreleased Gen 4 'mons are Ground-type/evolve into Ground-type (or have forms that are Ground-type, for Burmy and Wormadam). The only three that aren't are Mothim (which is the male evolution of Burmy, so you can lump him in with the former group), and Cherubi/Cherrim (another multi-form issue). I kind of wonder if this hints to an upcoming Ground Festival or something.
Edited by Anura on Feb 12th 2019 at 5:16:27 PM
AR Camera for things you've already caught is going to result in some funny photos, and probably a whole genre that we probably shouldn't discuss here.
10 Sinnoh Stones! Nice.
For that shiny Spinda... I admit, I laughed.
Let's be fair: that genre probably existed from the get go. Anyone determined enough to make/have it could just spoof for it.
Based on Niantic's history, my money would be on the stones not being guaranteed.
I think they might guarantee them for the duration of the actual event itself on Community Day in the three hour window. Especially given how many Pokémon actually need the damn item compared to those that need Iron Coat, Water Scale, etc.
That's the hope, but Niantic really isn't known for making rational decisions.
Well, yes, said genre always existed (I remember people doing it with certain catches right when the game came out); it'll just be vastly easier now. It'll probably mean that I should put on Safe Search before looking up pictures of Pokemon for the time being.
That's just generally a good idea without even taking into account Go, considering even the official anime can't resist lewding on them at times.
You're right, but I keep forgetting.
Oh, in more news, the Valentine's Day event has started. The full rundown is here, but the points that are particularly relevant are:
Hmm. Seems like it would have been a good opportunity to roll out Happiny. Guess that isn't to be yet, though.
Unless Happiny is one of those 7km hatch possibilities, but I haven't heard any indication of that yet.
Also, for further update, Chansey is a Tier 3 raid, CP 5381. That's the lowest I ever remember seeing for a Tier 3 raid, and the mechanics of raids (with set Stamina) strongly suggest that it'll be the easiest Tier 3 ever. Which is very fortunate, if you're one of the people who have come across the Valentine's research of "Catch A Chansey" for 3 rare candy (which I have).
We're getting stat boost moves!
Only for PvP though. And it's just Ancient Power, Silver Wind and Ominous Wind getting their effects for now (just in time for Mamoswine CD), but more has been promised.
Edited by Anura on Feb 14th 2019 at 10:52:33 AM
"Chance to raise"
Who wants to bet they're setting it at something pitiful like 10%?
I mean, that's what they are in the main series.
Yeah, but in the main series, that's a move you can use every turn versus requiring several seconds and then a charge attack animation. The equivalent in the main series would probably be a 1% chance.
On the flip side, compare shiny rates in Go vs. them in the main games. They might make them trigger more often. Too early to say, really.
So I take it the inventory camera isn't yet implemented right? The tweets make it sound like it is.
Boosts are live. Looks like a 10% chance of +2 to Attack and Defence, which means doubling them like in the main series. That's enough to turn anything into an absolute terror, if you get it off and it has enough HP left to do anything afterwards.
Silph Road seems to think 2 stages is 50% in Go. Still significant, but 10% chance on a charged attack means it's not really worth taking pains to get up when you could very easily just wipe without ever proccing it. Assuming maybe 2 charge attacks before the Mon doesn't have enough HP for the boost to matter, that's a 19% chance to be threatening versus an 81% chance to never go above base stats. I guess the people who love gambling on crap odds will love this move.
I just found out about the option to battle other players by scanning their qr code, but the two other people I knew had the game uninstalled ages ago.
Also see an option to battle the leaders, but my bag is full with 190 common pokeballs (excess from the that option that syncs walked km while the app is off).
On the plus side, I almost got enough candy to fully evolve my starter.
This is probably old news to everyone by now, but I did get five Sinnoh Stones from battling the team leaders five times in a row during CD today. 100% chance of stones. Didn't battle other humans, though.
I didn't realize Friday counts as weekend so I missed the five-times challenge leader opportunity on that date :<
For future reference, in case they do it again: the stones were guaranteed on the day of Community Day, so battling during the actual spawn period or the evolution grace period wasn't a requirement.
Built a Meme-oswine shiny, mostly as a collector's item. I specifically chose a middling CP one with poor IVs because anything better would have gone above Great League threshold. Figure it there's anything this build won't get immediately owned by, it'll be Great League.
Saved the few good ones I did get for Ice and Ground builds. The 91% level 30 was the prize of the day. Unfortunately, no weather boost because LOLNianticweather despite snow aplenty. The remainder will require me to actually power up or accept that I'll be evolving 60%s to bypass most of the dust requirement to get them to level 30. It is actually kind of nice being able to sit on them waiting to see if I get anything better before the actual raid I'll need them for instead of scrambling to assemble a full evolved team during Community Day proper, though.
Great, just great. Luvdisc became so uncommon at the tail end of the valentines day just when the research popped up :/
Community Showcase More