- Broken Base: Fans' initial reception for the Spin-Off game ranged from negative to mixed, something that a certain action game dealt with before its release.
- Complete Monster: Alarico del Gonzo is the holographic head of Forge Industries, and the one responsible for the zombie outbreak. Discovering an underground space lobster, he decided to harvest the chemical Substance 72 from it in order to cure his disease and become a God-like figure, unleashing the chemical onto Soviet soil once he hears of Ryu Hayabusa coming to stop him. Doing so causes everyone in Russia to become a zombie, with del Gonzo using them to distract Ryu. Resurrecting Yaiba Kamikaze as a cyborg, he has him hunt down Ryu so that he can activate Yaiba's killswitch to detonate the two ninjas, killing some of his men in a fit of rage once that fails.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Yaiba's dialogue. All the trailers have him badmouthing for minutes.
- Just Here for Godzilla:
- Some fans played this game just for Hayabusa.
- Some fans bought this to play the arcade mini game: Ninja Gaiden Z Mode.
- Polished Port: The PC version has a number of graphics options, a better camera in the Wideshot option, rebindable keys (with the option of secondary keys for each action), and can run at 60 FPS.
- Scrappy Mechanic: A lot. Most notably...
- The lack of a jump button.
- The camera is at its worst again, this time it's a God of War-esque camera with bad angles.
- The 'weapons' that you rip out from zombies do not last long, requiring you to rip out some zombies again.
- The upgrade system doesn't do anything much.
- Countering requires absolute pin-point precision to pull off, coupled with hard-to-see attack ques and unflinching enemies swarming you at all times.
- Pretty much the whole combat system itself.
- That One Boss: Ryu Hayabusa. He has the AI of what you expect from a NG boss. His attacks are quite damaging, even in the normal setting. Unless you can properly counter his attacks, you'll have to throw a slug into his face. And if you try to do that, make sure you are far away from him.
- The Scrappy: Yaiba Kamikaze (an arrogant, foul-mouthed ninja) being the complete opposite of Ryu Hayabusa doesn't seem to be appreciated by many fans.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks!: While it's supposed to be a different NG game, fans were not pleased that it's more of a God of War clone.
- WTH, Costuming Department?: One of Yaiba's costumes is a schoolgirl costume, seriously. Another has him in a pink jumpsuit with bear motifs. The said costume is supposed to be a promotional material for a Japanese zombie film.
YMMV / Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z