- Awesome Art: DiTerlizzi does double duty as author and illustrator of all three books. It's clear he puts a lot of effort into both.
- Cult Classic: The books are nowhere near as popular as DiTerlizzi's other book series, and is almost never brought up in literary discussions, but has won praise from the likes of Suzanne Collins and Rick Riordan, and is a favorite amongst those who have read it.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Otto's pleas for help to Eva can be very unsettling to read.Little one. Help. Help. Free. Me.
- The description of the taxidermy preparation process from later in the book is also rather disturbing. The infant water bear that Eva had just recently tried to communicate with is flash-frozen solid, leaving the bear as a permanent record of what its last action was before death. Then, a liquid is pumped into the tank, removing its flesh and leaving exposing the organs inside. And keep in mind, Eva, having been captured by Besteel at this point, almost joined it.
- Otto's pleas for help to Eva can be very unsettling to read.
- Tear Jerker: MUTHR's death scene. She took an energy beam blast aimed at Eva, costing her life. Eva spends a good chunk of the time trying to keep her functional , but MUTHR tells Eva not to worry about her, giving a So Proud of You speech in the process. Then she dies with the mechanical equivalent of a smile.
YMMV / WondLa