- Captain Obvious Reveal: The novels ran concurrent with Yuki Yuna is a Hero but fans knew early on that Washio was Togo. They look near identical, have similar personalities, and Togo displays signs of a Shell-Shocked Veteran upon becoming a Magical Girl. The spoiler isn't revealed until the midway point of YuYuYu. Washio Sumi Chapter, which aired afterwards, treats it as a Foregone Conclusion.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Sonoko makes a comment about wanting to see Gin dressed in white, referring to her wedding day. She does soon see Gin dressed up in white during her funeral.
- Memetic Badass:
- Gin Minowa is popular for driving back three Vertex on her own without fairies or Mankai to protect her friends, and despite succumbing to her injuries dying a heroic standing death.
- Sonoko, thanks to her status as the strongest Hero in the original series combined with her nigh chessmaster-level intellect backing it up. The mobile game even follows up on this as she's unanimously considered the best and most powerful unit you can acquire in Hanayui no Kirameki.
- Memetic Mutation: "Hey Wasshi...LET'S ENJOY KAGAWA LIFE!" Explanation
- Values Dissonance: The original anime's Transformation Sequences were a point of contention amongst fans, but Washio Sumi Chapter ramps up the dissonance. There are a lot of fanservicey chest and rear shots, despite the protagonists being eleven year olds.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Little Girls?: It's a Magical Girl work starring elementary schoolers, but it's also a Magical Girl Genre Deconstruction where, amongst other things, one of the girls is violently killed in battle.
YMMV / Washio Sumi Is a Hero