- Awesome Music:
- Using "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" over Jim and Jenna's hilarious sexcapades.
- The recurring theme of "Ride of the Valkyries" whenever Jenna is about to deliver a verbal smackdown.
- From the musical, "She Used To Be Mine", and "Club Knocked Up" could be seen as this.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Ogie, along with his Adorkable poems. The musical only amplified this.
- Esoteric Happy Ending/"Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The very end becomes this with the knowledge of Adrienne Shelly's death, as explained below.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- Dawn's fear that her blind date might be a serial killer may serve as this after Adrienne Shelly's real-life murder.
- Five years after the death of Adrienne Shelly, who also played Dawn, her Japanese dub voice actress Yuko Mizutani also passed.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The actress who plays Nathan Fillion's wife in the film shows up as his ex-wife on Castle.
- Also, Jenna's usual OBGYN is named Dr. Muller, which is the same last name of actress, Jessie Mueller who originated the role of Jenna on Broadway.
- Moral Event Horizon: Earl slapping Jenna across the face takes an already irredeemable character and makes him beyond irredeemable. Audiences gasped at this moment when the film played in theaters.
- Reality Subtext: Some shade of it. According to the commentary, Adrienne Shelley did have 5-minutes dates.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- The Woobie: Jenna, so much.
- Jim's face after Jenna tells him to leave the diner may cause one to try and hug their screen.
YMMV / Waitress