- Adaptation Displacement: Subverted. Though the web manga came first, the published manga and its anime star a different Wagnaria staff, thus making it plausible that the audience wouldn't be familiar with the web manga's cast. It does, however, play More Popular Spinoff straight.
- Ear Worm:
- Fridge Logic: In-show example.Yachiyo: "But... Wouldn't have it been simpler for me or someone else to pretend to be Takanashi?"
Jun: "Todoroki... A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."
Hiroomi: "You just realized it now, haven't you, Satou?"
- Les Yay: Yachiyo and Kyouko. Most of it coming from Yachiyo. Including one blatant scene in the yonkoma:Yachiyo: "But you are right, if you don't break this habit of yours, you won't be able to fall in love."
Inami: "Lo-!! Love..."
[Yachiyo sees Kyouko walk by in the background]
Yachiyo: "Ignore what I just said. It's okay if your partner is a woman."
- And then there's the scene in which Kyouko proclaims, "Yachiyo is mine".
- Popura's admiration of Kotori is also slightly suspect, which even gets commented on by Jun.
- Kozue steadily ramps up towards Mitsuki, from accidentally following her instead of Youhei, to late night visits after nightmares, to straight-up propositions when Kozue's drunk. And Kozue is often drunk.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Am I Poplar yet?!
- Not Poplar anymore?
- Still Poplar!
- Sum wan wan!
- In-universe: Kawai-souma-san
- Moe: Popura, Aoi and Nazuna. In fact, Aoi even made the Top 8 during Saimoe 2010.
- Please Don't forget crossdressing, toddler Takanashi Souta.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: During the first season, Inami turned off a lot of people due to her preconditioned reflex to punch men if they get close to her. This was due to how overused the gag was. Come the third season, this had mostly vanished, mostly due to Character Development.
- Romantic Plot Tumor: During the first season some viewers felt that the events between Souta and Inami draw away too much attention from the other characters. Turned on its head during the Grand Finale Lord of Takanashi, where Inami's love for Souta actually helps resolve a good deal of his family's problems (with a little nudge from Poplar, of course).
- The Scrappy: Inami's dad, full stop and more for being the reason why Inami is initially a Scrappy. Most people wonder why a character like him has any business being in a Status Quo Is God Slice of Life Comedy series. A lot of people thought that even Takanashi's "The Reason You Suck" Speech wasn't enough to deal with him. Some even see him as a half-assed way to make Inami seem more sympathetic.
- Values Dissonance: Kozue accuses Mizuki of being a naughty girl for her lesbian attraction toward Yachiyo, and that she should stop her unproductive thoughts and finally fall in love with a man. Regardless of Mizuki's true feelings, this still shows that in Japan homosexuality is mostly seen as "just a phase."
YMMV / WORKING!!