- Archive Panic: While it is impossible to tell how many new viewers have looked at the Vlogbrothers' 1000+ videos (and counting) and fled in fear, the potential is certainly there. Especially taking their other YouTube channels as well as non-YouTube websites into account. The volume really is massive.
- Awesome Music: Pretty much all of Hank's songs, but some pretty notable ones include "Accio Deathly Hallows", "Book Eight", "People Who Love Giraffes", and "The Anglerfish Song".
- Crosses the Line Twice: Hank can make some extremely dark jokes. See Black Comedy on the main page for some examples.
- Death of the Author: John is a strong proponent of this about his novels. They both feel this way about Nerdfighteria.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In 2013, Hank released his annual Harry Potter song- this one was called "Oh, JK Rowling", begging said author to please release another book or project. Barely a day later, and it came out that Rowling in fact had, under the Pen Name Robert Galbraith.
- Incest Subtext: Not usually, but when Hank names his favorite part of John (his right cheek), they mention the fanfiction they may very well have just inspired.
John: Not today, slash fiction writers!Hank: [laughing]: No, not today!
- Jokingly defied when the brothers are doing a joint video, and agree not to end it by saying good-bye, because that would require them turning to each other and staring into each other's eyes.
- Memetic Mutation: Adding "in my/your pants" to the ends of book titles, an idea originally thought of by Maureen Johnson.
- Puppy-sized elephants.
- And tiny chicken disease (in which tiny chickens lay eggs inside your nose, which hatch baby chickens that eat your brain and poop out of your nostrils. In other words, the common cold.)
- "Dude! No edge!"
- More recently, Hank trying to express frustration over ketchup bottles and self-checkout machines in a discreet manner: "Passive-agressive...robot...sack of...ketchup...pee! Gah!" It's even been turned into a T-shirt!
- "Remember, this man is an award winning novelist." Used whenever John acts kooky.
- Memetic Badass: The Swindon Town Swoodilypoopers. Specifically, Bald John Green and Other John Green (who is, at it happens, "SO STRONG").
- Nightmare Fuel: See here.
- Squick: All the videos about giraffe and giant squid sex.
- Let's not forget the time when Hank fell in love with a tree.
YMMV / VlogBrothers