- Adaptation Displacement: The movie is based on a Dark Horse comic, but who actually remembers that?
- Narm: I'm a friend, alright? I'm Cuban, I'm not American!
- Fridge Horror: One of the most commonly suggested methods of long-term interstellar exploration is via self-replicating robots or transmitted self-compiling AI. In other words, the sort of thing that is encountered in this film.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Captain Everton predicts that the salvage will get them "thirty million dollars, that's what's comin' our way". The movie's box office earning was $30.7 million.
- The Problem with Licensed Games: The film gave birth to an infamously awful and Nintendo Hard Playstation game.
- So Okay, It's Average: The general consensus is that the film is a prime example of Starring Special Effects, with every other aspect of the production being middling at best.
- Squick: Too many examples to list. Eesh...
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Those are some absolutely wicked animatronics work. About the only reason to watch the movie is for the absolutely killer robot cyborgs, and every single one of them was done with 100% Practical Effects. And the giant "Goliath" monster is a thing of beauty.
YMMV / Virus