- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: On the side of the staircase leading to Pothos' house is a secret door that leads to a room containing an Electric Whip. In that room, there's secret passageway that leads to a hidden doornote . In the next room is a football field complete with Ice Trolls as the "cheerleaders" and ice golems as the "players." Near the goalpost is a chest containing magic armor. The teleporter is broken, however, so the only way to leave this area is to cheat, or deliberately get yourself killed which will transport you to the monks and then back to a normally accessible region.
- Enjoy the Story, Skip the Game: Serpent Isle does away with many traditional Ultima gameplay elements, such as nonlinear exploration, in favor of more cutscenes and dialogue. The actual gameplay of Serpent Isle is also extremely unpolished, and the main reason most players enjoy this game is the story.
- Good Bad Bugs: The ghosts in the burnt out fireworks factory have the same speech script as the Chaos Hierophant. Talking to them gets you some important information and Plot Coupons as well as saving you the trouble of tracking down the guy later. However, if you've never played the game before, it'll give you some major spoilers.
- Being under the influence of Serpent Bond temporarily removes your party and returns them when it wears off, so you can smuggle party members past event triggers that would affect them. This allows you to bring them into the Gorlab swamp dream (so they can bring your gear in and take loot out) and save Mortegro from getting perma-killed.
- If you equip any of the stat-boosting items from The Silver Seed before entering the Mountains of Freedom, they will be removed but the stat increases won't. If you then equip the items on another character (say, an unimportant automaton) they will not get a stat increase (as the item is still 'equipped') but removing it will decrease the stat... essentially transferring those points to you. What's more, since Boydon starts with a Combat stat of 8, pulling this trick on him with the axe leaves him with a Combat stat of -2... which the game can't understand, so once you save and then restore, it will be reset to max!
- Scrappy Mechanic: Having to manually feed your characters.
- Tear Jerker: Dupre's Heroic Sacrifice.Dupre: Let it be known that Sir Dupre died bravely!
YMMV / Ultima VII Part II