- Base-Breaking Character:
- Annette herself is this especially in the anime. There were many viewers who dislike her for being Jerkass and couldn't forgive Lucien for so long. On the other hand, others find her to be likeable for having a well-rounded personality and character development.
- The anime version of Dani as well. Italian viewers tend to dislike him for his resemblance to fellow hated character Sunny, a blonde whiny kid with an annoying voice note . On the other hand, others like him for being nicer than his sister, and especially more sympathetic towards Lucien.
- Jerkass Woobie: Lucien gets into petty fights with Annette early in the story and also takes his anger out on Dani, which eventually caused his horrible accident. But he didn't hurt him on purpose, was intensely remorseful over it, and tried everything he can to make up with Annette and her brother. For most of the story he's ostracized by everyone (though less so in the anime) and Annette treats him horribly. As the story goes on, he becomes more of an Iron Woobie.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: The author wrote this book in order to inspire people to stop holding grudges and forgive people, even if it's near impossible for them to do so. If two people live their lives being angry at each other and hurting each other, they'll never be happy.
- Toy Ship: Annette and Lucien, if you believe there's Belligerent Sexual Tension between two kids who used to be very close friends. Even more so in the anime, the lyrics of the French opening (long version) mentions them kissing after their fights.
- Values Resonance: A story preaching forgiveness? Sign us up!
- What an Idiot!: Annette tends to make really bad decisions at times. The good thing is, Aunt Claude is quick to call her out on it gently. Lucien's family, however, are a different story. At one point in the episode, Lucien considers running away from home after Monsieur Peguin slaps him out of a suicide attempt. He doesn't go through with it, gets lost, and comes back to Rossiniere.
You'd Expect: Lucien's mother and sister to realize the extent of what happened has done with him and get him some help, and be understanding and patient with him, letting him know that they're there for him and will help him recover in any way possible.
Instead: After the reunion, Lucien's mother lectures him (especially egregious as Lucien's teacher explicitly tells her to her face that punishing him won't solve the problem!), and Lucien's sister spanks him 20 times!
- The Woobie: Dani, a Cheerful Child whose only fault was finding himself in the middle of Annette and Lucien's fights, falls off a cliff and survives with a broken leg leaving him permanently unable to walk without crutches. He gets better.
YMMV / Treasures Of The Snow