- Awesome Music: The anime series has some truly fantastic Background Music.
- Ho Yay: As the mangaka Keiko Takemiya is credited for inventing yaoi, there is a lot of this stuff going on. All the time. Mostly from Matsuka.
- Mind Game Ship: The main appeal of Keith/Matsuka, it seems.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: Sort of. As the source material dates back to the 70's, quite a few plot elements now seem clichéd to a modern audience.
- Stoic Woobie: Keith, to some. Whether this is an example of Draco in Leather Pants or a reasonable reaction to his relatively sympathetic portrayal probably depends on how far they take it.
- Tear Jerker: The latter half of the series following episode 10 is full of these.
- The downer ending echoes Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam where three quarters of the cast are killed off.
- True Art Is Angsty: The manga won numerous awards.
- The Woobie: Matsuka, to some, and the Mu generally.
- Woobie Species: The Mu. They are hunted down for having powers they are born with and can do nothing about, and they tend to be born with physical disabilities as compensation for their powers. Their telepathic abilities make it hard for them to fit in the society, where computers control everything and regularly brainwash every citizen, eliminating these who fail to submit. At the beginning of the series they are driven away from their homeworld and forced to flee across the Galaxy. When it seems that they finally have found a new home, Keith blows it up.
YMMV / Toward the Terra