- Contested Sequel: Some fans appreciate the addition of Pointdevice Mode, but others point out that ZUN seems to have used this as an excuse to create over-the-top enemy attacks.
- Game-Breaker: Sanae. She has a mix of her UFO shot types (Cobalt Spread unfocused, Sky Serpent focused, Wily Toad as bomb). Her unfocused shot has wide spread and her focused shot homes to the first enemy it sees, both which raze stage portions and are good against bosses while focusing more dodging and less on hitting the enemy. Her bomb has good duration and damage, but more importantly, it doesn't do damage right away and it has some set up time in which Sanae is invulnerable and can jump directly into the enemy danmaku, allowing her to easily get more than the 200 graze required to get life pieces.
- It's Hard, So It Sucks!: Even amongst series veterans, this game is decried for being far too difficult, especially on Legacy Mode when the patterns are balanced for Pointdevice Mode. Perhaps an example of Be Careful What You Wish For, as many fans feel that the previous game, Double Dealing Character, is easier than the games that come before it.
- Scrappy Mechanic: The Pointdevice Mode has one glaring flaw: when a player resets to a check point, he or she loses one point of power out of 400 possible (shown ingame as 1.00 to 4.00). Since the reset most likely will be due to getting killed by yet another boss and the power being based on full hundreds of points, getting a reset will cause the 4.00 (max) to drop to 3.99 or less, which in turn means losing one attack orb and thus losing a staggering 25% of damage output, making the next attempt to finish the phase in question just that much harder, especially boss fights, where they are needed by far the most. Mountain of Faith above, ironically, had the answer: power levels go up to 5.00, but level 5 doesn't increase attack power over level 4, making level 5 a buffer.
- Spiritual Adaptation: Given the unusually hard bullet patterns and the use of Checkpoints, this is basically I Wanna Be the Guy as a Vertical Scrolling Shooter.
YMMV / Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom