- Armoured Closet Gay: Can argue that this is L. Although L is unapologetically out as gay, he is shown to be quicker to violence, anger, and other macho actions. Which makes sense when considering his less than accepting father and upbringing.
- Crack Pairing: Matt/Naomi, Mikami/Shiori, L/Gevanni, Mikami/Naomi, hints of Ryuk/L.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: For some readers. Granted, this fanfic is based on Death Note and is supposed to be satirical, but even so it's difficult at times to care about the characters when they're not only mostly sleazy politicians, but exhibit few redeeming qualities and seem increasingly bent on making their lives and each other's miserable.
- Jerkass Woobie: Both Light and L.
- Ron the Death Eater: Matt is a womanizing douchebag that makes Light's Jerkass tendencies look nice in comparison. Later in the story L physically abuses and rapes Light. Also, in this 'verse he's the one writing in Ryuk's notebook to further Light's career by killing off threats or competition, including his own boyfriend Stephen.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: "I'm left alone staring at something stupid. The money flower. What the hell is that supposed to mean? I want one."
- True Art Is Angsty: One of the most highly regarded fan works within the fandom, and extremely harrowing in parts.
- Wimpification: Subverted. Light and L are both crazy, possessive, vicious and manipulative.
- The Woobie: Naomi.
YMMV / Those Who Stand for Nothing Fall for Anything