- Awesome Music: Rock critic Lester Bangs called the opening of "All Tomorrow's Parties" "the greatest music ever made."
- Broken Base: Some fans just can't stand Nico's voice, but opinion on Nico is polarized even outside VU fandom.
- First Installment Wins: This album is the most influential of all in the band's discography.
- Harsher in Hindsight:
- Memetic Mutation: One of the most recognizable album covers in history.
- Misaimed Fandom: Anyone who thought "Heroin", "Run Run Run", and "I'm Waiting for the Man" promoted drug use, amongst others. Reed was horrified whenever anyone told him they shot up to "Heroin". You'd have to ignore the lyrics to think they promoted drug use.
- Pop-Culture Isolation: Velvet Underground fans tend to think that the band was more eclectic than it actually was, e.g. describing some of the more improvised / guitar solo-based songs as being "free jazz", which jazz fans find amusing.
- Vindicated by History: Brian Eno is credited with saying it best: Only 30,000 people bought The Velvet Underground & Nico, and all of them started a band.
YMMV / The Velvet Underground & Nico