- Designated Villain: The tanner never does anything bad, but is treated as a terrifying villain because he'll buy Small One for his skin. He's not even a Villainy-Free Villain, he's polite and honest with the boy.
- Ear Worm: "Clink, clink, clank, clank, get the money to the bank/Clink, clink, clank, clank..."
- Tear Jerker: The scene after the auction, when Small One realises that no one will buy him. He leads the boy back through the town, back towards the tanner's — fully prepared to give up his own life. And then there's the ending...
- The Woobie:
- Small One, a kind old donkey who has to be sold because he's not strong enough to work anymore — and one that nobody wants to buy except the tanner.
- The boy. He has to sell his beloved animal, who is his best friend.
YMMV / The Small One