- Alternative Character Interpretation: When Lisa tells Flanders about what happened to Bart and he is still willing to let her babysit, is it because he figured Lisa was remorseful and wanted to show forgiveness, or because he assumed that Bart deserved what happened to him?
- Angst? What Angst?: Flanders treats his wife being taken hostage by religious extremists as more of a slight annoyance than a serious matter of life and death. Done intentionally and Played for Laughs of course.
- Fridge Horror: Lisa is still getting calls to babysit kids, which is good... but everybody in town thinks she's a psychotic coke-head who may hurt their kids, and they don't seem to care. What would happen if that accusation was truly deserved?
- Nightmare Fuel: Bart accidentally dislocates his arm after falling down the stairs, which is bad enough by itself. But it gets worse when he commits deliberate, further self-harm just to spite Lisa and ruin her reputation as a babysitter.
- One-Scene Wonder: The government officials who ask Lisa if she saw an UFO and the chauffeur for the Ghanaian ambassador.
- The Woobie: Lisa goes through hell in this episode simply because she wants to be a responsible babysitter in spite of her age, and gets treated as a pariah by the town because of Bart's actions.
YMMV / The Simpsons S8 E17: "My Sister, My Sitter"