- Hilarious in Hindsight: Canti Lau plays the emperor here. Three years later he played another emperor in Princess Silver. And both characters are the head of a dysfunctional family with their sons plotting against each other.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- Min Feng crosses it when he kills Zi Yan. His callous dismissal of her and her unborn child afterwards makes him even more despicable.
- Tuoba Yu crosses it when he's willing to stand by and let Xin Er be raped so he has proof of Liu Song's treachery.
- Chang Ru crosses it when she has Crown Princess Consort murdered to frame Xin Er.
- Special Effect Failure: The special effects are not always convincing, especially in fight scenes.
- The Woobie:
- Xin Er loses her family, loses her newfound friend, has to deal with Chiyun Rou's attempts to kill her, and thinks the man she likes is part of the family who killed her parents. Things only get worse for her from then on.
- Wei Young was sent away to the countryside as a child, is mistreated by her caretaker, and befriends Xin Er only to die at the hands of her stepmother's assassins.
- Min De lost his parents when he was young (or so he thinks), is ignored or bullied by his adopted family, has to deal with Tuoba Di, and his adoptive mother dies because of Chiyun Rou.
YMMV / The Princess Wei Young