- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: There are hardly any Hope Spots in this film.
- Jerkass Woobie: Luke, whose erratic behavior is contrasted with his genuine desire to be a better man.
- Just Eat Gilligan: Everything could have been avoided had Romina been a little more upfront towards Jason concerning Luke.
- Moral Event Horizon: Any sympathy for Luke is lost when he strikes Romina's husband Kofi with a wrench, and later putting a gun in Robin's mouth and subjecting him to some fairly sadistic psychological torture.
- Narm: Luke holding up the bank would be way more intimidating if it werent for Ryan Goslings voice constantly cracking as hes threatening everyone inside.
- The Scrappy: AJ (and Emory Cohen's performance) is despised for his Jerkass behavior and arrogant attitude. Cohen's apparent Marlon Brando impression doesn't help.
YMMV / The Place Beyond the Pines