- Alternative Character Interpretation: Does the old woman honestly not know her "pets" are human or does she know and chooses to ignore it?
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: When the old lady chases after the gendarme with the shears, the animation suddenly speeds up and she spins round like something from Benny Hill. Nothing like it happens anywhere else in the short.
- Jerkass Woobie: The gendarme did take advantage of the old woman's generosity but he was starving and she was planning to kill him the whole time. Not to mention by the end, he's now acting like a pigeon due to the trauma of the whole thing.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- There's a Dream Sequence that shows human-like pigeons eating the gendarme. Afterwards, he takes a real pigeon into his apartment and skins it alive. Said pigeon is left around in the apartment for months on end which eventually dies and its flesh is eaten up by cockroaches.
- The old lady coming after the gendarme with a pair of garden shears so she can kill him and cook him for her "cat", who also happens to be a person in a costume.
YMMV / The Old Lady and the Pigeons