- Alternate Character Interpretation: Regarding the degree Celestia was responsible for the atrocities committed.
- Was the pointless destruction of the non-ponies fleeing Equestria done under Celestia's orders or at the whim of her fanatical supporters without her consent or knowledge?
- Celestia claims she was unaware of the side-effects of ponification (namely, that the newfoals were all rendered sterile upon conversion) until a year after it was widespread and also states that she didn't want them to lose their personalities either. Was she at fault for failing to oversee the development of the process? Did she want to fix things but it was too late by the time she found out? Or was she self-justifying her playing God with humanity to the point of believing her own lies? The latter especially just sounds too specific a side-effect when considering the purpose of ponification was to essentially remove the convert's "greedy human nature" into that of a Stepford Smiler.
- Was Celestia responsible for her subjects' fanaticism against humanity, or did they choose to blindly follow her out of the loyalty she earned prior? And did she encourage this, thinking it was their only chance at fighting against humanity?
- Base-Breaking Character: This work takes the stock TCB portrayal of Celestia and goes to lengths explaining what could feasibly cause her FaceHeel Turn from canon (discounting Brainwashed and Crazy) and avert the Necessary Weasel. Whether this is sufficient to address the usual criticism or if she's fallen farther than even that can justify is a matter of debate.
- Friendly Fandoms: The fans of the Negotiationsverse are fans of the Spectrumverse and vice versa (helped by the fact that some of the co-authors of the latter have expressed an appreciation for Negotiations). It helps that both are deconstruction fics of the highly controversial Conversion Bureau story, albeit with radical differences in tone and focus.
- Jerkass Woobie: Applejack in Useless. She's become a ruthless terrorist, a remnant of a country that had attempted to commit xenocide on one species (and left several others to die back on its homeworld), and by her own admission has killed numerous innocent people, humans and ponies alike... but she's also lost her whole family, all her friends besides Rainbow Dash, her life, and her innocence even, and is stubbornly clinging to the past. She has already crossed far over the Despair Event Horizon, and is completely accepting of and at peace with the fact that she's either going to be killed or taken prisoner.
- Moral Event Horizon: Celestia definitely crossed this, but when exactly is debatable.
- At least for Twilight and Spike, Celestia had crossed this first when she decided to save only ponykind from Equus' sun's death, without informing the other species and dooming them to extinction. Granted, she did want to save them as well and just didn't have enough power to do so, plus she is very well aware of her sin, but still...
- Declaring war on humanity once it was made clear that the majority of mankind didn't want to become "nice and peaceful" ponies (mindless and brainwashed slaves, actually). And for that matter, creating the potion and conversion bureaus in the first place.
- Imprisoning all the other non-ponies in Equestria who stood against her tyranny. And if she was indeed the one who ordered for their escape crafts to be destroyed, then that's just another layer of nastiness.
YMMV / The Negotiations-verse