- Awesome Music: Basically any background music you hear in the short.
- I Am Not Shazam: While he was renamed in later content — XXX has a much different connotation today than it did in 1933note — as of this short, his name is "Dr. XXX", not "the Mad Doctor".
- Moral Event Horizon: XXX either crosses it with his plan to attach Pluto's head to a chicken's torso, or with his attempt to kill Mickey.
- Nightmare Fuel: Easily one of Disney's most chilling shorts, right up there with Education for Death and Night on Bald Mountain.
- Vindicated by History: While the short was apparently shunned in its initial release, it has retroactively become one of the most popular Mickey Mouse shorts, to where the villain not only reappeared in Mickey Mania, but was given a prominent role in both of the Epic Mickey games.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: Phantomstrider calls it the Creepiest Mickey Mouse cartoon for damn good reasons.
YMMV / The Mad Doctor