- Abandon Shipping: A lot of Ethan/Emma left after Ethan kissed Sutton and have started shipping Emma with Thayer
- Creator's Pet: Laurel Mercer; thought it never took over the show, the writers seemed determined to change her from a nerdy and shy yet pretty girl to an amazing musician (who can sing, play an instrument and write amazing songs while still getting straight As) who's almost always right and has two boys fawning over her.
- Actually she mentions that she did poorly on her midterms.
- Derailing Love Interests: Come on, Thayer being evil doesn't make any sense. It was quickly pushed into Fanon Discontinuity territory
- Ho Yay: All of the male adults on the show seem to owe Alek Rybak. Episode 12 has Dan/Mr. Mercer try and explain his situation to Ethan/Sutton and it ends up coming off as Accidental Innuendo.
- Jerkass Woobie: Justin. His parents are dead and he's living alone so he can go to school and get a golf scholarship. It was later revealed that his mom died when Ted botched an operation. He seems to hold a vendetta about it but hasn't quite crossed into Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds Yet
- Magnificent Bitch: Sutton. Starts to embrace it around the end of the first season.
- She seems to have inherited it from her mother, Rebecca
YMMV / The Lying Game