- Better Than Canon: Between more extensive backstories for the characters along with more thorough character development and an impressive amount of interesting original characters, several traits of this fic have been regarded as better than the official story upon which it is based.
- Draco in Leather Pants: There are some readers of this fanfiction that believe Kayaba is not that bad due to his more protective side in regards to Kirita despite the fact he trapped her and thousands of other players in the virtual world.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Kirita and Akio are considered the most popular character of the story, but there are many characters who have received a decent fan base.
- Canon Characters:
- Argo has generally be praised for being more involved in the storyline.
- Original Characters
- The samurai brothers Gorobei and Kikuchiyo have been well received with Gorobei being the most popular original character and Kikuchiyo being the third most popular.
- Delano was rated number two in the original character popularity contest due to various factors, including giving Kirita a run for her money during Chapter Three.
- Despite her limited screentime the character Wan Shotto has already received a fair amount of attention from readers, and she even scored fourth place in the original characters poll.
- Canon Characters:
- Fan Preferred Pairing: Even before Chapter Eight, the fans were looking forward to what the Kirita and Akio relationship would be like. After the release of Chapter Eight, many fans want to see Akio and Kirita become a couple similar to their canon counterparts.
- Iron Woobie: Kirita keeps fighting on despite the number of people who hate her for unjustified reasons keeps increasing.
- It Was His Sled: Knowledgeseeker 66 does not even attempt to hide the fact Kayaba Akihiko and Heathcliff are the same person. It is revealed during Chapter Seven when Heathcliff temporarily logs out into the real world.
- Jerkass Woobie: Delano (Kudo Tomomi) was once a great high school athlete who lost both his father and his ability to walk, because his mother was neglectful in getting their car checked for maintenance purposes. His bitterness towards his mother and willingness to embrace the virtual world to walk again seems at least somewhat justified.
YMMV / The Kirita Chronicles