- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Claire laying out a haymaker on Mrs. Mott after discovering her secret. Mama Bear indeed.
- Emma locking Mrs. Mott in the nursery, telling her, "You're not my mommy!" and trying to get Joey to safety.
- Designated Hero: Claire can be this for some viewers. Mainly because she seems more interested in growing plants than wanting to spend time with her own children.
- Evil Is Sexy: Especially if it's Rebecca DeMornay.
- Fridge Horror/Fridge Logic: Mrs. Mott isn't able to make Claire think Solomon's molesting Emma just because it's every parent's worst nightmare. It's also because what Dr. Mott did to her has made her extra paranoid, Which raises the possibility that she knew all along what kind of a sicko she was married to, but chose to turn a blind eye.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Seeing Claire being molested/taken advantage of by a more powerful man with an elevated status looks much worse since twenty-five years later, Annabella Sciorra would publicly accuse Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment/assault. Also, like with Claire/Annabella, several other women have come forward with accusations as well.
- Hollywood Homely: No makeup or clothing is supposedly enough to make Annabella Sciorra the dowdy alternative to Rebecca DeMornay and Julianne Moore.
- Jerkass Woobie: Mrs. Mott. Losing her baby may have made her a sociopath.
- Magnificent Bitch: Mrs. Mott, who manipulates every situation with success until the very end. She's that smart, and Rebecca DeMornay manages to play her very convincingly.
- Moral Event Horizon: Mrs. Mott crosses this when she frames Solomon for molesting Emma, causing him to get fired. And she just goes further from there...
- Nightmare Fuel: Marlene's highly disturbing death.
- Mrs. Mott going into premature labor, which is a mixture of this and Tear Jerker.
- Anytime Claire's asthma flares up, particularly after she discovers Marlene's body, which got so bad, especially since Mrs. Mott emptied her inhalers so she would suffocate without them, she had to be hospitalized and put on a respirator. More disturbing, the death trap was meant for her.
- Mrs. Mott aggressively threatening and intimidating Solomon after he accidentally witnesses her breastfeeding Joey. She gets up close to him and asks him Did you like looking at me? in a flirtatious and sultry way, which makes him uncomfortable and he tries to look away without saying nothing. The second time she asks him, her tone of voice is more stern and menacing and Solomon who is still uncomfortable says nothing and then after a few seconds comes the hard slap......... Solomon just freezes while Mrs. Mott coldly glares at him before creepily and smugly uttering Dont fuck with me, retard. My version of the story will be better than yours........ Up until that point, most of the things Mrs. Mott had been doing were underhanded sneaky but not outright evil. This was her FIRST truly malevolent moment of the film, bullying a harmless and innocent man who has nothing to do with her plans for revenge or has wronged her in anyway but she does it anyway out of peer viciousness and to drive home that shes not someone to be fucked with. Also the cruelness and creepiness displayed by Rebecca DeMornay is enough to make even the most calm and collected people feel uncomfortable.
- Mrs. Mott sneaking back into the house to attack and kill both Claire and Michael and to kidnap Emma and Joey to start a new family of her own with them. It just shows how far shes gone of the deep end and how delusional shes become to believe that shes actually the childrens mother...... Especially the part where she encounters Solomon, (who has been keeping an eye on the Bartels, despite being fired) trying to get the children to safety and he rushes to grab Joe to protect him from her after she demands him to give him over to her and he says no. Her response?? You give me my baby or I'LL BASH YOUR SKULL IN!!!!!!!!! The textbook definition of BATSHIT CRAZY....... Not to mention the way Mrs. Mott taunts and mocks Claire despite having her at her mercy when shes having another asthma attack with the lines When your husband makes love to you, its MY face he sees. When your babys hungry, its MY breast that feeds him. Look at you! When push comes to shove..... You cant even breath!!!! That will give every mother the creeps and the way that Rebecca DeMornay delivers it, makes it even more creepy. Fortunately for everybody, Claire was faking her asthma attack to catch Mrs. Mott of guard.
- One-Scene Wonder: John de Lancie as Dr Mott.
- Rooting for the Empire: A lot of viewers can't help but root for Mrs. Mott, mainly due to De Mornay's excellent and charismatic performance compared to the rather bland protagonists.
- Tear Jerker: At one point, Solomon says that one thing he really wants is a blue bicycle, and the family give it to him to show that they consider him very much a part of the family. While this is a very heartwarming moment, it becomes absolutely heartbreaking when Mrs. Mott accuses him of and frames him for sexually abusing Emma... and we see a shot of Solomon just looking hurt and confused as his bike is taken onto the van to his special needs home.
- Mrs. Mott secretly breastfeeding Joey on her first night in the Bartels home. Joey is not her baby at all and its one of her first steps to take over the family but the look of joy and near tearful look on her face while she's breastfeeding him will probably leave a few people a little choked up, considering she was robbed of the chance to do this with her own baby due to her miscarriage.
- Solomon saying to himself after being physically and verbally intimidated by Mrs. Mott that he wont let her harm the Bartels is something that will leave a lot of people fighting back tears. The emotions of fear, hurt and confusion displayed by Ernie Hudson makes the scene even more sad. I wont let you hurt them. Theyre my friends. I wont let you hurt them!!!!
- Watching Emma cry in Mrs. Motts arms instead of her own mother, who she blames for letting Solomon being taken away is also heartbreaking because Emma and Solomon had become extremely close. Claire also breaking down in tears due to Emmas rejection is another heartbreaker.
- Mrs. Mott herself. Yes shes a deluded and vengeful psychopath but you cant help but feel sorry for her a little bit at the end considering all she had lost which fostered her turn to the dark side. During one of her conversations with Emma, she mentioned that she had to take care of herself for most of her life because her mother died when she was very little and during one of her conversations with Claire she mentioned that her husband (Mr. Mott) was her only family, which means being alone or abandoned is something she cant and wont deal with. To lose her husband, unborn baby, her home, her inheritance and having a emergency hysterectomy (which saved her from dying but prevents her from having any more kids) in ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS ???? Has to be extremely excruciating. All that and her becoming a tortured, twisted and troubled soul is why a good portion of viewers felt it was best that she died at the end because she didnt have to suffer anymore.
- The Woobie: Solomon.
YMMV / The Hand That Rocks the Cradle