- Memetic Mutation: "It's as big as a battleship!" "A bird as big as a battleship!"
- Narm: Boy howdy. As noted in the header, Morrow later recalled how he sneaked out of a screening humiliated after people burst into laughter when the monster appeared. He went home right away and began to drink.
- Nightmare Retardant: The Giant Claw itself is about as scary as a half-eaten chicken leg. Just look at it.
- So Bad, It's Good: There's some entertaining value to be found in all the Special Effect Failure.
- Special Effects Failure:
- Apparently at one point Ray Harryhausen was going to do the creature effects, but to save money a small shop in Mexico was contracted instead. Hence the laughably bad creature design and puppet.
- On a more mundane note, the matte painting of the US Capitol building through the general's office window is at a size and angle that implies that the general works in the statue of Grant on the National Mall.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: The bird puppet was only added in post-production, so none of the actors actually knew it would end up looking so ridiculously goofy. Because of this, all of them treat the Giant Claw like it's a horrific monstrosity with a Nightmare Face and not the reject muppet it really is.
- Values Dissonance: The male lead spends much of the movie being casually dismissive towards the female lead, an adult scientist who is treated like a child by pretty much everyone. And guess what? She's also his love interest!
YMMV / The Giant Claw