- Critical Dissonance: How to Save a Life gained mixed reviews from professional critics who thought it was too similar to fellow piano rock contemporaries Keane and Coldplay. However, listeners praised the album's honest, natural sound and it later became the best-selling digital album of all time.
- First Installment Wins: How to Save a Life contains three of their biggest hits, the title track, "Look After You", and "Over My Head (Cable Car)". While their follow-up "The Fray" had another big hit "You Found Me" and the album topped the Billboard 200, it didn't prove to be as popular as the first in the long run.
- Memetic Mutation: The music video to "How To Save A Life" was a viral hit on Youtube.
- Nightmare Fuel: "Little House", their darkest song to date.
- Tear Jerker: Where to start... a good half of the songs can be this.
YMMV / The Fray