- Awesome Ego: Taylor Hapten, actually Nyarlothotep, is a boisterous villain who wants nothing more than to challenge and kill Hardestadt, his smug attitude about fighting making him all the more entertaining.
- Complete Monster: Nyarlothotep, see his works' page for details.
- Jerkass Woobie: Thomas Nero is a Cthulhian cult leader out to end all humanity, but he's already a grieving family man who lost his wife and daughter, and a pleasant man besides who truly thinks that he's doing is the right thing. He's not a terrible man, just a lost one, and Hardestadt points out as such.
- Magnificent Bastard: Thomas Nero is a sorcerer driven to the brink of despair following the deaths of his family by the Great Old One, Cthulhu. Believing humanity destined to suffer under it lest he allow it to destroy them, Nero moves to link the monster to its daughter, Maggie Isla — "Cythlla", as it calls her — to usher in the apocalypse. Employing numerous gambits to throw Hardestadt and his companions off his trail, Nero shows time and again, what a worthy adversary he is. Even when mortally wounded and his plans stopped, Nero happily accepts there being a way for mankind to live on without destruction and gracefully passes into the afterlife to reunite with his beloved wife and daughter.
- Tear Jerker:
- The ending farewell between Hardestadt and Maggie/Cthylla with her departure. While she couldn't have been expected to stay into the present day, Maggie is still forced to leave her old flame forever and leaves with an earnest farewell.
- Thomas Nero's own death is something of a tragedy as well. He was evil, but sympathetically, understandably so, and he dies in absolute peace at the end of all things.
YMMV / The Dreams of Lonely Stars