- Memetic Mutation: "is that" "Vladmir Putin?"
- Mexicans Love Speedy Gonzales: The feeling is far from universal but there are a few trans women who love the film, even with the casting of a cis man in the title role.
- Tearjerker: When Gerda comes home from an exhibit, only to be greeted by Lili. She tearfully begs her, "I need my husband!"
- After painful radiation therapy in an effort to quell his desires, Einar whimpers, "You hurt Lili."
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Some reviews have noted that the film's time in Development Hell seems to have done a lot of damage, as the final product feels like it's been micromanaged to within an inch of its life to remove anything remotely challenging or controversial from a story that would naturally call for both.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: As usual with films about a trans person, the film is unpopular with part of the trans community due to the decision to cast a cisgender man instead of a trans woman.
- There are a large numbers of transwomen who supported the role of Eddie Redmayne, a man playing a transwoman both before and after transition due to transwomen feeling uncomfortable playing the role of a man. So it only made sense that a man would play the transition of lili/einar from man to woman and it would be natural and unjarring.
YMMV / The Danish Girl