- Fridge Brilliance: We can presume that the toys get their names from their owners, right? Cats say "Mew", so maybe that's how Mew got his name. It would also explain why the second cat toy that the cat receives at the end is named "Mew" as well.
- Fridge Logic: Near the end when Mew is "frozen forever" Rugby gives a heartbreaking speech apologizing for making fun of him, and sings a song about how much Mew means to him... and that brings him back to life! Fair enough, but then the camera cuts back to the playroom, where we see the rest of the toys singing the EXACT SAME SONG to the pile of other frozen toys to bring them back! But Rugby and Mew haven't returned yet! How the heck did the other toys learn that it was THAT ONE SONG that brings back their frozen friends if Rugby hadn't yet told them?
- Maybe they were overhearing their conversation from upstairs?
- Heartwarming Moments:
- When Mew is brought back to life after being frozen, thanks to the song Rugby was singing. You'll never be happier for a Deus ex Machina in your life.
- Likewise, when Ditz and the other frozen toys are brought back to life as well.
- Kermit joining the toys in singing "Together at Christmas" at the end.
- He Really Can Act: Dave Goelz, who at this point mainly did comedic characters like Gonzo (and would eventually be able to show off his acting skills as THAT character, too!), delivers a genuinely heartfelt performance as Rugby when he's talking to the frozen Mew.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Moment of Awesome: Mew's imitation of the cat.Apple: Mew, that was fantastic!Rugby: That was pretty good.Mew: (timidly) For a cat toy?Rugby: For any toy.
- Nightmare Fuel: The frozen forever concept and Ditz's death in particular.
- Padding: The scene where Jaime unwraps Rugby, spins him around, and gives him a hug is cute and all, but did we really need to see it three times??
- Retroactive Recognition: Little Jamie's actress Marsha Moreau went on to become the first voice of Madeline and the voice of Flora in Babar: The Movie.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: You may think many of the main plot points are ripoffs of Toy Story, until you realize this predates Toy Story by nearly a decade.
- Tear Jerker: Apple's version of last Christmas.
- Rugby's conversation with the frozen Mew. And when he starts singing "Old Friends"... I'm not crying, you're crying!
- The "Old Friends, New Friends"" ending song is so beautiful and heartwarming, it can move one to tears. Believe me, it can.
- What an Idiot!: Rugby completely forgets the consequences of what he's trying to do, and when reminded, realizes how stupid his plan is.
- The Woobie: Poor little Mew. You just want to hug him... if he didn't smell so weird. He even gets frozen for his troubles, though thankfully Rugby is able to bring the little guy back to life.
YMMV / The Christmas Toy