- Harsher in Hindsight: The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, has forced almost the whole world to be confined to their own homes, and not have any physical interaction with others, not too dissimilar to Tod.
- Naturally, it's also harsh to know that the SCID patient whose case largely inspired Tod's backstory, David Vetter, didn't even make it into his teens.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Tod attending school through a camera and TV monitor during the second act is very similar to how online learning would be established as a result of the aforementioned COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Narm Charm: General consensus is that the movie targets the heartstrings so aggressively that it overshoots the mark more often than not, but Tod's situation is nevertheless a tragic one, and the story was based on some real cases of kids with the same immunodeficiency.
- Retroactive Recognition: A pre-cancer surgery Anne Ramsey has a small part as Rachel the nurse.
- The Woobie: You can't help but feel a little bad for Tod.
YMMV / The Boy in the Plastic Bubble