- Awesome Music: Lalo Schifrin's iconic theme for the film (rearranged and reused in the second film as well) was nominated for an Oscar.
- Ham and Cheese: Rod Steiger's performance as Father Delaney is decidedly unsubtle. On the other hand, he's one of the movie's more enjoyable characters.
- Idiot Plot: The family in this movie need to seriously have an IQ test, as they NEVER catch on to the various horrors going on, and instead blame each other.
- Newer Than They Think: This movie started the whole "houses built on Indian burial grounds will be haunted" thing.
- Special Effects Failure: Whether the reveal of Jodie's true form - as a huge, demonic pig with glowing red eyes - is genuinely terrifying, or silly and underwhelming (as it's clearly a normal pig with its eyes colored), is down to the individual viewer.
- The Woobie: Father Delaney, hands down. He's practically a punching bag for the malevolent spirits in the house, and by the end of the film has lost his faith, gone blind, and been rendered comatose with no end to his suffering in sight.
YMMV / The Amityville Horror (1979)