- Anti-Climax Boss: For all the deaths he instigated, Lamar goes down in seconds. Justified as he's a Non-Action Guy.
- Audience-Alienating Premise: How many on the autism spectrum see the movie itself. There are those who see the film as dehumanizing to autistic people because of the brutal actions of The Accountant, and worry it may reinforce destructive stereotypes. Others on the autism spectrum like seeing an autistic action hero, who they may perceive as empowering in some ways, and consider it Fair for Its Day with respect to other contemporary portrayals of the spectrum.
- And then there are those who don't give a shit either way and see it as solid action thriller.
- Awesome Music: Mark Isham's score is actually quite good.
- Captain Obvious Reveal: The fact that Braxton (the merc boss) is Wolff's brother is almost painfully obvious from his second appearance onwards. Any audience reaction to it essentially boils down to "I knew it!".
- Critical Dissonance: Has a 51% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 51 on Metacritic, with audiences responding to it much more favorably. It grossed a respectable $155 million at the box office for a budget of $44 million and has a CinemaScore rating of "A" (on a scale from "F" at the worst to "A+" at the best) from audiences and a solid 7.4/10 on IMDB.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Dana. See Just Here for Godzilla below.
- Just Here for Godzilla:
- Some people went to see the movie due to the main protagonist being autistic.
- A bigger crowd went to see it just because Anna Kendrick was in it and were looking forward to a more dramatic role of hers. Judging from comments on Twitter and Tumblr they weren't disappointed.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Upon the teaser's release, many have taken to calling the film a spiritual Batman movie due to Ben Affleck and J. K. Simmons' suspiciously similar roles (Ray King fitting The Commissioner Gordon trope almost to a T) to those in the DC Extended Universe. The trailer was even edited to include Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice footage to address how much the tone of the film fits.
- You could also call this Batman vs The Punisher.
- A few people online half-jokingly called it Ben Affleck playing The Angry Video Game Nerd due to Affleck's similar appearance to James Rolf when playing the Nerd.◊ There's even a joke in the movie about Wolff having a pocket protector, which is mentioned in one of the lyrics of the AVGN theme song ("He's got a pocket pouch, and a filthy mouth...")
YMMV / The Accountant