- Acceptable Targets: While all of the world's leaders (minus America and Japan) are shown to have been doing sinister and counter-productive things in secret in their "human weapon race," China has taken the forefront as "the villains" in the series, completely derailing the mission for samples to cure the virus plauging Earth and getting many of their comrades killed all so that the Chinese Government could capture Akari and Michelle so they could make an army of elite super soldiers to bolster their military might against the rest of the world.
- And while some of the Chinese members are shown to be sympathetic, it doesn't change the fact that they betrayed their comrades while ON A MISSION THAT LITERALLY MEANT LIFE OR DEATH FOR MILLIONS BACK HOME, just so their Government could have a super weapon to use against the other nations of the world.
- While we're on the subject, the same people that gave intel to the Martian roaches to sabotage the Annex I mission so the Chinese group could capture Akari and Michelle also gave the roaches intel about the capabilities of the Chinese group, including the gender and nature of the "bacteria" base soldier. If the Chinese are the traitor nation, they didn't just betray the project, they betrayed their own team from the start.
- In reality, the ones responsible for planting the roaches on Annex I and giving all the information to the Roaches on Annex I, including information on the M.O. Operation, was Rome, and have completely supplanted China as the "the villains", particularly the Newton family.
- Accidental Innuendo: This gem from Chapter 48, page 9:
- Americans Hate Tingle: The series is quite popular in Japan, but has no significant fanbase outside of it.
- Awesome Music:
- The opening song, Amazing Break
- He's Just Hiding!: Many people seem to believe Adolf isn't dead, mainly due to the lack of a body or any evidence. Considering the series he's in, though, the chances of him being alive are very slim.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Moment of Awesome:
- Mixed with a Tearjerker, Marcos goes on an absolute rampage when we see him transform for the first time, smashing a roach's face in with a flying knee, then in a literal blink of an eye, dashing up to a roach to decapitate it with a mighty uppercut. So awesome that Viz used the clip to promote their dub.
- Adolf's fight with the roaches after he regains consciousness, especially the "Fuck you" he delivers before electrocuting them.
- Eva Frost pulls a Big Damn Heroes on Akari. Saving him from a Chinese warship, single handed, and does enough damage that the Chinese had to temporarily retreat!
- Some people find the censorship of the TV version of the anime makes it hard to take seriously. Reaches full Narm levels in Episode 3, where the severed heads and bodies of the human cast are obscured by black circles. Unintentional hilarity ensued◊.
- The design of the roaches just looks ridiculous to some people.
- Narm Charm: Some people actually like the roaches' weird faces because of how uncomfortably human they are.
- Nightmare Fuel: Chapter 77 - a bagworm moth caterpillar with a human mouth and teeth, after 20 years of "evolution." The cockroaches were bad before, but imagine what will happen when the bagworm moths evolve into humanoids...
- Taken up a notch when we find out that Martian roaches managed to get Bugs I operational, launched it to Earth, and despite it being successfully shot down, have survived and established a colony and have been infiltrating human society for over 16 years with only Japan and the U.S. mounting any kind of resistance. Their speed and proficiency in reading maps, using electronic devices like computers and cell phones, and the fact that they're specifically not Axe-Crazy Omnicidal Maniacs, but act with deliberate precision and premeditation, coordinating their every move is completely chilling, especially considering the fact that they don't care about their own lives as long as they complete the mission objective.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: The TV broadcast got more attention for the ludicrous censorship than anything else. See Narm.
YMMV / TerraforMARS