- Big Bad: Ms. Evelyn MacDonald the Assistant Administrator is likely this.
- Big Good: The completely unseen Dr. Winters is probably this. Unfortunately she doesn't or can't do anything to thwart the shutdown of the Radio station or actually do anything in the story. She's little more that a plot element mentioned in passing a couple of times to Eddie to explain why the Radio station was re-opening to begin with (Winters seemed to be a decent person who was actually interested in promoting therapies and activities to help the patients, which Evelyn flippantly dismisses as 'Big Ideas' that'll never happen due to lack of funding).
- Funny Foreigner: Eddie's Grandma has shades of this. She's a bit quirky.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: When asked what prizes the station could give away David Tennant's character, Campbell, says this:Campbell: It can be anything we like. A trip to Graceland by time machine to meet Elvis. Lunch with the Archbishop of Canterbury. I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space. I'm a loony for God's sake.
- Iconic Outfit: Campbell's most remembered piece of clothing is that colorful hoodie◊ that resembled a crude Microsoft Windows logo.
- Playing Against Type: With actor, Angus MacFadyen and his depiction of Fergus. Angus often plays these hammy, Boisterous Bruiser/tough-guy/warrior/Violent Glaswegian types of characters note yet Fergus MacKinnon is a very quiet, gentle, soft-spoken young man who only initially looks intimidating.
- Retroactive Recognition: Basically: Balin the dwarf, with the help of the Tenth Doctor, his schizophrenic best friend, Robert The Bruce and a couple of ladies start up a radio station at the now-defunct Gartloch Hospital where Brigadier Winifred Bambera is the Head Nurse of one of the wards.
- The Woobie: Almost every patient earns this role at one point in time, but Francine in particular.
- And Fergus! The poor guy could never catch a break or given a chance to fully flex his electrical-engineering awesomeness....then his smug little Bitch in Sheep's Clothing psychiatrist had to tell him bluntly "You'll never work EVER!".... So he kills himself.
- Too Cool to Live: Fergus has some shades of this in his own quiet, unassuming way. He's an electrical engineering whiz who can also swipe things (like a doctor's lab-coat) and escape, cat-burglar style (complete with ropes, harness, grappling hooks, etc.) from the asylum every night (and return before morning) without staff knowing. He even managed to somehow get a Cool Helmet and a hang-glider to go gliding from one of the towers.... His horrid shrink does not give him permission to get his engineering job so he defenestrates himself.
YMMV / Takin' Over the Asylum