- Author's Saving Throw:
- From the first trailer alone, it already fixes most of the issues that critics had with the first game, including but not limited to: slopes, new enemies, new environments, new UI, and a new theme based on Super Mario 3D World.
- The May Direct showed a lot more improvements over the first game, like finally being able to tag map types and filter them online, vertical sub-areas, the ability to customize how auto-scrolling works and add rising water to levels, as well as On and Off switch blocks and several new themes.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "There, we added slopes. Now can you guys shut up and stop whining about it?!"Explanation
- The Wii U KillerExplanation
- "You fuckin' make it then if you're so goddamn smart 2"Explanation
- Boom Boom is a mad lad. Explanation
- Extra Game Styles Explanation
- "Embiggen them with a Super Mushroom..." from the 2nd Direct
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: The fact that one needs a Nintendo Switch Online membership to be able to play online was by far the only new thing that wasn't well received. Mainly because Nintendo is charging players money for something that was previously free and Nintendo Switch Online being a controversial addition to begin with.
- Uncanny Valley:
- Win the Crowd: The announcement trailer alone managed to win fans over for showcasing many new features as well as fixing many bugs and problems that players had with the first game.
YMMV / Super Mario Maker 2