- Alternate Character Interpretation: Did Roy grossly miscalculate the seriousness of his injuries and thus caused his own death, or did he correctly assess that his time was almost up and deliberately choose to hide the gravity of his injuries so he could see Claudia one last time?
- Americans Hate Tingle: Lynn Minmay, because of Character Exaggeration/Flanderization in the Robotech dub, the fact that Reba West/Rebecca Forstadt, the actress hired to play Minmay was not up to the task, and that the songs written for her were likewise poor (especially the bellicose "We Will Win," in the climactic battle, the total polar opposite of the original "Ai wa Nagareru", a very pacifist song.)
- Notably, Harmony Gold and ADV Films did a new dub of Macross, promising much more accuracy, one thing they did was get Mari Iijima HERSELF to dub her own words, in one of the most liked aspects of the new dub.
- Awesome Music: Plenty; particularly noteworthy ones include "Sunset Beach", "Zero-G Love", and the classic "My Boyfriend is a Pilot".
- Die for Our Ship: Minmay would surely get much less grief if she wasn't interested in Hikaru, thus keeping him and Misa apart.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Arguably, the Destroid Monster: it's the only mech outside of the variable fighters that has showed up in some form in every series since, however briefly and however importantly.note .
- Fan Nickname: For the guy currently in charge of the series no less, Shoji Kawamori is known among some fans as the Hory Froating Head)note
- "Holy Shit!" Quotient: Many, but the ones who stand up the most are the titular ship punching an enemy ship in the face (this even in-universe: after seeing it, Breetai and Exedore are left speechless for a moment before monotoning they need reinforcements) and Bodolza glassing Earth as soon as he's in orbit (a first in anime history, and lampshaded by Misa crying they can't do it as soon as she sees the data).
- It Was His Sled: It's virtually impossible for a new viewer to go into the show without already knowing Minmay as a superstar idol singer, which might lessen the emotional impact of watching her rise to fame from her humble start as a waitress at her family's restaurant.
- Memetic Mutation:
- YACK! DECULTURE! - An expression initially meant to display disgust in the fictional Zentraedi language, the expression was used in scenes depicting the Zentraedi reacting to Earth culture, including Minmay's songs as well as people kissing. This eventually led to the expression becoming a positive one both in-universe and among the series' fans, to the point, by Macross Frontier and Macross Delta, Deculture is a Zentraedi exclamation of excitement, and even the 2018 smartphone game is suffixed 'Deculture'.
- Captain! No smoking on the bridge! note
- Nightmare Fuel:
- What, no one here who got to watch this show as a kid wasn't traumatized by the part where the whole Zentraedi Main Fleet just pops up out of nowhere and immediately showers the Earth with their ships' cannons before the defense forces even gets to put up a fight? And that particular scene depicting a soldier's gallant but futile attempt to shield a little girl from the global destruction....
- When Captain Global decides to have the Macross transform into its battle form in Episode 5, completely devastating the city the civillians had just managed to construct within it. The civillians are given next to no warning and the useless advice to hold onto something heavy while whole sections of their habitat shift and are torn apart. At least one section of the hull opens, causing blast winds strong enough to suck out cars into space and when that hole is sealed by an emergency hatch, said hatch lowers in front of several homes sealing them outside and does not open up again after the battle is done. How many people died there?
- Refuge in Audacity: As the Robotech novels point out, Max stealing a Zentradi's uniform and dressing his Valkyrie in it really shouldn't have worked, but it was just too awesome to not happen.
- Admittedly, It's Robotech, and he is a Jenius.
- The Scrappy: Kaifun, because he's a major Jerk Ass and extremely obnoxious on top of it.
- Strangled by the Red String: While the show foreshadows it before they've met, Max's feelings for Milia go from "let's go for coffee" to "be my soul mate" at the drop of a hat ( or a dagger in this case.). This is especially funny considering he declares his love right after she tries to kill him in a knife fight for defeating her, once in battle and then at the arcade.
Hikaru: Excuse me, but didn't you just go out on a date with this girl? I mean fun's fun, but jumping straight into marriage?
- Lampshaded by Hikaru not long after:
- The Problem with Licensed Games: Not with the case of the 2003 version released for the Playstation 2.
- Values Dissonance: In Japan, Kaifun being Minmay's cousin and love interest isn't a big deal. For Americans, it's a lot creepier, to the point where the Robotech dub had to have Misa's character awkwardly defend it as "Not that weird... in some places."
YMMV / Super Dimension Fortress Macross