- Ass Pull: The Source Code comes across as this since it was never mentioned before or foreshadowed.
- Awesomeness Withdrawal: When the story was still going, story updates were pretty random with no indication as to when the next chapter would be posted. It's downplayed, since it really wasn't that bad, but some readers still grew impatient.
- Jerkass Woobie: Believe it or not, Garry. As it turns out, he's actually very lonely on accounts that the other racers (sans Sydney and Cindy) don't particularly care about him. Then there's his goal to retrieve Vanellope's half of the Source Code in order to fully unlock Sydney and Cindy from the game, so that they wouldn't lose everything they have if the game resets.
- Moral Event Horizon: Garry crosses it about three times throughout the story.
- The first was in chapter 8 when one of his methods of cheating involved rigging the track in hopes of having a candy cane tree fall on Rancis and Taffyta in chapter 8.
- The second was when he plants explosives on Jimmy and Larry's kart in chapter 10, which permanently kills Jimmy (although it later turns out he actually survived).
- The third time is when he releases a horde of Cy-Bugs into Sugar Rush and basically threatened to destroy the arcade if Vanellope didn't turn herself into him.
- Shocking Swerve: For many readers, Jimmy's Disney Death was quite unexpected.
- You Make Me Sic: The main complaint about the story were the grammar errors.
- The Woobie: Sydney and Cindy.
- The both of them are Garry's only friends, and Sydney struggles to serve Garry in spite of all that he's doing. Not to mention that they're not even main racers, but rather unlockable characters that would end up losing their memories if the game were to reset.
- Cindy, in particular, is also shown to have a crush on Garry, but his selfishness and desire to marry Vanellope strains this a bit. Then she ends up in tears when Jimmy breaks it to her that she and Sydney are actually unlockable characters and when Garry surrenders and leaves near the end of the story.
YMMV / Sugar Rush: Rival Racing