- Bile Fascination: The hatred it has earned not just from critics, but from Stallone himself lends itself to this.Stallone (in an interview): The worst one. If you want to make a guy admit a crime, you put him in front of this movie and I guarantee that, after half-an-hour, he will confess to everything.
- Cult Classic: It won't make a list of Stallone's best films, but people may still get a kick out of it for the Bile Fascination alone. That it's one of Estelle Getty's last films also helps.
- Funny Moments: Mother Tutti cleaning Joe's gun much to his dismay. Even singing a little ditty of "this is how we wash our guns" to the tune of "here we go round the mulberry bush".
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Roger Ebert's review is funnier knowing Stallone was tricked into taking the role because he thought Schwarzenegger wanted it.It is moronic beyond comprehension, an exercise in desperation during which even Sylvester Stallone, a repository of self-confidence, seems to be disheartened.
- Squick: Sylvester Stallone in a diaper. That is all.
Stewardess: (To Joseph) You know you looked real sexy in those diapers.
- Then there is this cringeworthy line after Joe's mother has shared his baby pictures with the stewardesses aboard the flight to Los Angeles; may also count as Values Dissonance for some.
- Strawman Has a Point: The "list of rules" that Joseph makes up, and insists his mother follow, for the most part are just petty "don't do anything to embarrass me, or make me look bad" kind of rules, but some of the rules he demands she follow aren't without merit. For example, him telling her not to go downtown by herself where it's known to be extremely dangerous, sounds like a pretty legitimate rule for her to respect. But, instead she just thinks he's being a petty, ungrateful son.
YMMV / Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot