open/close all folders
Tropes Present Throughout The Series
- Anvilicious : People in dire need of psychiatric help need to be forced to get it.
- Squick: A meta example. Both Lily and Nintendogal end up being highly disturbed by a lot of the series darker content, but push through for the sake of telling a story.
- A lot of the series explicit scenes are deliberately written in short, yet over-the-top ways because Lily is squicked by smut in general.
- Unintentionally Sympathetic
- Twilight is given a great deal more characterization than domestic abusers typically are in most works, and the reader is encouraged to become invested in her recovery.
- Likewise with Rainbow, who seems to take her psychiatric treatment to heart by the end of her story arc.
- Angst? What Angst?: Ascentia is surprisingly upbeat for someone who is being horribly beaten and raped by her wife.
- Revealed later to be the result of Twilight's abuse. Ascentia has been psychologically broken by her and now derives happiness from pleasing Twilight any way she can.
- Jerkass Woobie: Every character shown to be doing something horrible is portayed this way. There is no really clear antagonist in the story.
- Twilight get's a special mention, considering that she is trying very hard to overcome her anger problems and stop abusing her wife.
- Rainbow Dash's kink for young girls. The fact that the story shows two of her fantasies in lurid detail doesn't help matters either.
- The presumed consensual abuse between Twilight and Ascentia. It's heavily implied that Twilight is doing serious damage to her, including rupturing organs.
- The Woobie: In spite of the fact that a lot of the tougher moments are due to their own actions and inner demons; there's no denying that it can be very heartbreaking to see the characters in shambles. This is especially apparent later on when everything goes far downhill.
- Scootaloo loses her adopted mother after just shortly being adopted by her. She's already had it tough with the loss of her parents at such a young age. It's made even worse when Rainbow attempts molesting her (it's never explicitly states just how far she went, but it was supposedly far enough to lose custody of her) and futilely trying to get both her mothers back together.
- Rainbow Dash ends up in the mental hospital. While her time in there is never explicitly shown; it's said by Firebrand that she rarely ate, slept, cooperated, and was crying and begging for Fluttershy. This is made even worse when, just before she essentially snaps, is lamenting that she may have just ruined their relationship. She is proven right.
- Twilight feels horrible for what she's done to her wife, blaming herself for everything that went wrong between them. While abuse is completely inexcusable, it's hard not to feel sorry for her.
- Ascentia can sometimes be considered a bit annoying with her wisecracks; but everyone does genuinely care about her. When it's revealed that she does indeed hate the abuse, it's hard not to feel terrible for her. Especially when she shows genuine fear toward Twilight.
- Sweetie Belle completely blames herself for what happened when she tried tempting Rainbow Dash to give in to her. It may have been terrible of her to do, but she comes to genuinely regret having done what she did and eventually resolves to never express herself in such a way ever again. She ends up grounded for the entire summer, lectured and yelled at by Rarity, and is not even allowed to see her girlfriends. Give the poor girl a hug!
- Although Fluttershy did cheat on Big Macintosh and inadvertently caused some rifts, she had absolutely no bad intentions and feels terrible. It doesn't help that she has a lot of anxieties and uncertainties about her life, especially since she has no knowledge of how to properly deal with them. She truly wants to try to fix things but is often powerless to do so. It's hard not to want to give her a hug.
- Apple Bloom is briefly shown in this way when she feels hurt and betrayed by Fluttershy's lying and adultery. Even though she takes it out on Sweetie Belle, who had nothing to do with it; it's hard not to feel sorry for her. She lost out on having a second big sister and also looked up to her.
The Dash Family
- Moral Event Horizon
- Twilight Velvet bribes a guard to get into Twilight's hospital room and violates her, seemingly out of nothing but spite. Ascentia is so enraged by this that she murders Velvet in cold blood.
The Razzle Dazzle
- Growing the Beard: The Razzle Dazzle is considered the point where the story made significant improvements in the quality of the writing and characterization, prompting both Lily and Nintendogal to claim that the original Stockholm was in dire need of a rewrite.
The Littlest Dazzle