- Bizarro Episode: Even for some of the weirdness of season 7, this ghost story is pretty out there. Jonathan Frakes, who directed, once commented that it feels more like a Tales from the Crypt episode.
- Ham and Cheese: Gates McFadden... well, she tries.
- Les Yay: Some good Crusher/Troi stuff here.Troi (sounding more than a little jealous): Beverly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were seeing someone!
- Narm: With a dose of Squick. It's a little unnerving how Troi seems totally fine with this sentence:Beverly: I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal.
- Ned Quint and his accent. "Dunnah light that cahhhndle!"
- Unfortunate Implications: Even putting aside Beverly being fine with being romanced the same way all her ancestors were(?!), Ronin putting Beverly under his love spell, while still presenting him as sympathetic (however slightly), carries some disturbing connotations that both AV Club and Allison Pregler have commented on.
YMMV / Star Trek The Next Generation S 7 E 13 Sub Rosa