- Awesome Music: New Human Race, the theme that plays when you fight Neo Revorse. This theme is made all the more awesome upon the realization that It's the same melody that is played by Dorne's music box and by Pericci when she's playing her flute. It's also rather odd when you consider that the soundtrack was made by Motoi Sakuraba, who is often known for rather... chaotic-sounding music. Some of the music is definitely his style, such as Immediately Before, but New Human Race still takes the cake. Immediately Before just comes in close second.
- Game-Breaker: Has its own page.
- Ho Yay:
- In one PA, Ronyx is a little too interested in what Roddick's tail would feel like to touch, and it freaks poor Roddick out so much that he runs straight to the other side of the bridge they're on!
- One PA involves a freakishly effective love potion getting spilled on poor Roddick.
- It's Short, So It Sucks!: Some of the criticisms targeted at the PSP rerelease. The game actually is pretty short for an RPG. (One can practically breeze through the game in 15 hours... or less.) Most people didn't exactly realize that the Super Famicom version was just as short (if not even shorter, because the remake added new possibilties), and that most of the time is spent micromanaging the (rather thorough) skill system and getting PAs that develop the characters further.
- Retroactive Recognition: Alucard (Robert Belgrade) from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night doing the voice of the captain in the opening scene!
- Strangled by the Red String: Roddick and Millie in the first game, no matter how much you tried to set him up with Ilia. This became a retroactive necessity to ensure Claude's existence since it's heavily implied by the second game that Ilia is his mother.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Some prefer the original names in the Japanese version that sound more unique (Ratix, Ronixis), and Phia was originally named Fear, a rather badass name. Ioshua was named Joshua in the fan translation.
- Tier-Induced Scrappy: Ronyx is a prominent and good character in story, what with being the first Kenny family member and the father of the hero of the second game, but players tend to be less inclined to use him due to his awkward play style (a marksman that uses magic, turning him into a Master of None). This even carries over to Anamnesis, where he's once again a bottom tier character.
YMMV / Star Ocean