- Awesome Music: The Season 2 opening, High Powered.
- Awesomeness Withdrawal: With only 13 episodes, some fans can't find the same kind of amusement when watching the anime shows in the Winter 2011 and beyond that they found in Ika Musume. Luckily the manga ran until Feburary 2016 for about 300 chapters.
- Crazy Awesome: Chizuru.
- Ear Worm: The Season 1 and OVA openings.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Mini-Ika went over so well with viewers that she stars in a few mini episodes on the DVD release!
- Fridge Brilliance: When Squid Girl goes on a hypnosis rampage with an MIT-built hypnosis coin, Chizuru is the only one who isn't affected. Aside from her natural badassedry, there's also the fact that she's the only one whose eyes are usually closed.
- Friendly Fandoms: With Splatoon, due to them both having squids. The creator of the manga has even drawn Splatoon fanart, and Ika's outfit is available as in-game content.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Chapter 39 of the manga, which was not adapted for the first season of the TV series and probably won't be for the second. Jokes about earthquakes don't seem quite so funny ever since 11 March 2011. The real knife-twist is that said chapter even mentions Tsunami.
- Genius Bonus: Apart from the Shout Out listed below, the American scientists also yell "I shall return!", which will only make sense to those familiar with World War II.
- Les Yay:
Eiko: You were 90 percent serious.Sanae: That's a lie! I was 100 percent serious!
- Sanae really likes Ika... and likes, uh, dressing her up suggestively.
- Cindy really likes Ika too, thanks to her "alien heritage." At least for Ika though, she's not as creepy as Sanae.
- Also, Eiko and Ayumi, the latter being bashful around the former.
- Season 2, Episode 9.1 (Chapter 69 in the manga). See it for yourself.
- Ika and Eiko can be (hardly) counted as one, especially with the finales of Season 1 and 2.
- Ika wanted to test her 3D glasses by... grabbing Kiyomi's developing boobs!
- Magnificent Bastard: Chizuru.
- Memetic Badass: Chizuru, and rightly so.
- Moe: Most female characters count in one way or another, but stand-outs include:
- Ika and Mini-Ika, who are so insanely huggable that one can easily see why Sanae fell for her.
- Sanae herself, despite her unhealthy obsession, is also really cute.
- Chizuru, despite her scary angry side, is really adorable when she's her usual kind and cheerful self.
- Kiyomi is an absolute sweetheart, both in personality and looks.
- Ayumi is likewise very kind and shy, yet so freaking cute.
- Keiko is a really kind and Adorkable policewoman.
- Narm Charm: The intentionally terrible sea puns give a lot of charm to the dub. It says something that despite the usual Subbing vs. Dubbing debates, very few fans consider the cheesy script a detractor in any way.
- Paranoia Fuel: Ika. Not for the viewers, but for Nagisa.
- Squick: Southern Winds Owner's Ika-themed toilet.Ika: I feel violated. *eyes tiny with shock/horror*
- The Woobie: Chizuru of all people. Even her own siblings are afraid of the sight of her with her eyes open, which leads her to stop wearing contact lenses. In Season 2 Episode 11.3 and OVA 1.2 she seems hurt by the fact that Ika and Ayumi don't think she's human.
- Woolseyism: Ika's Verbal Tic wouldn't work well in English, so the dub replaced it with Smurfing. It works.
YMMV / Squid Girl