- Alternative Character Interpretation: Loads. Sonic is incompetent, Knuckles is a resentful Attention Whore, Metal Sonic doesn't know that he's a robot, Silver is a wuss, Espio is the Only Sane Man, etc.
- Annoying Video Game Helper: Relentlessly parodied with the Omochao short.You got: a ring! You got: another ring!
- Crosses the Line Twice: There is no line in this series.Amy: Hey Sonic guess who lost their virginity? (holds up a bottle of chloroform) You did!
- And that's only the part that made it in. The extended version on Bit-Master's Deviant ART has Sonic doing it to Tails.
- And in another example:Tails: (pointing to his nose) Aunt Sally, can I have the funny kiss? (she kisses his cheek) No, Aunt Sally, the funny kiss.
Sally: Oh... yes, the funny kiss...Tails: There was nothing funny about that at all!
- Designated Hero: Played for Laughs in the Sonic Heroes short in which Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles beat up a hapless Dr. Eggman "Because we're Sonic Heroes!".
- Ensemble Dark Horse: While Sega Shorts in general received something of a mixed response from viewers, there are two that everyone loved. The Skies of Arcadia short for the sheer novelty and appreciation for the adaptation of the game's aesthetic to Flash animation. The second is Puyo Puyo, for its surprisingly fluid animation and featuring of Doppelganger Arle, a darkhorse in her own right. The fact that Dark Prince was a near-flawless soundalike of his English voice in Puyo Puyo Tetris also didn't hurt.
- Heartwarming Moments:
- Oddly, involving the Tails Doll at the end of Volume 3. After Tails beats the possessed doll and throws it to the ground, it starts crying. Marine sees how sad it is and takes it in her arms, and after the credits, it is shown happy to finally have a friend. You can even squeeze it with your mouse.
- After several shorts where Sonic and Amy were either interrupted or Sonic lied to Amy that he was gay, he finally kisses Amy as thanks for accidentally saving him in "The Lightning Shield"...right before the Death Egg falls on them.
- As of "Vector's Knickers", the two of them had sex. And they're perfectly happy together!
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- The joke about Robotnik's base being in space in the "How to Create Your Own Sonic Fan character" skit now that Sonic Colors is out.
- The skit saying not to upload Sonic Shorts episodes onto YouTube off Newgrounds, now that the whole series was officially uploaded by its creators onto YouTube.
- Turns out Knuckles Briefs (specifically Tails' brief which was in no way, shape, or form forced upon him) may have given the Sonic Boom writers some ideas.
- One of the shorts in the sixth entry features Sonic, in Hydrocity Zone, hitting a bubble shield and floating up into some spikes. While the bubble shield is unaltered, Sonic Mania features a stage gimmick in that level that resembles the gag from said short, complete with spikes occasionally impeding your progress.
- One of the shorts features Knuckles getting sick of everybody stealing the Master Emerald, and tries to hide it, only for Eggman to steal it anyway. This describes Sonic Mania Adventures' third episode perfectly.
- In Sonic Seconds, Mighty is still in the bar (now Mirage Saloon) with Ray mysteriously gone, but Bark, Bean, and Nack are seen on wanted posters. After Sonic passes by, destroying a badnik in his way, Mighty slams his head on the desk and breaks down sobbing. Looks like the joke was made a little too early, now that Mighty and Ray have been announced as new playable characters for an Updated Re Release of Sonic Mania, Sonic Mania Plus.
- Volume 3 of Sonic Seconds actually adds to this joke: Mighty proudly proclaims he is finally out of the bar and back in the game... and then he realizes one of the zones in Mania is Mirage Saloon.
- And in Mania Plus itself, the good ending of Encore Mode has Mighty celebrating in the Mirage Saloon bar with his pals, bringing it all full circle.
- One short based on the swimming events in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has Eggman shown topless. Come 2019, where this is exactly the case. YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT!
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: For those who didn't take too kindly to Amy attempting to pummel Sonic into marrying her in Sonic Heroes, it's fairly cathartic to hear her cry, "My God, What Have I Done?" once the deed is done in "Metropolis Mayhem".
- Squick: Sonic and Shadow's reaction to a picture of them together on the internet. Shadow expected to see them duking it out to see who was the ultimate, but...Sonic: Is that...Shadow: And is that my...Both: WWHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Another somewhat common joke is Eggman trying to be sexy, followed by Sonic reacting by dying, or just wishing he had Brain Bleach on hand."His eyes have melted!"
- In a skit making fun of the infamous kissing scene from Sonic 2006, Sonic notes that he can't tell which is more disgusting/creepier: The fact that Elise kissed an animal, or the fact that she kissed a corpse.
- Another somewhat common joke is Eggman trying to be sexy, followed by Sonic reacting by dying, or just wishing he had Brain Bleach on hand.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Chris gets in a lot of trouble in the shorts. This has carried over to both Sonic F (which is done with slightly less frequency, but it's still there) and a 2012 April Fools My Little Pony: Camaraderie Is Supernatural episode, which consisted of a toy Pinkie Pie running over the toys of the cast of Friendship is Magic... And a Chris toy along with them. Then there's the time 4Kids was plotting to make a spinoff starring him, only to be interrupted by SatAM!Robotnik launching missiles at them over his modern incarnation being too soft.
YMMV / Sonic Shorts