- Cliché Storm: The series gets this accusation a lot, especially in its early episodes, which may be one reason why it was relatively unnoticed during the Summer 2014 Anime season. It also had some stiff competition in the form of its much more bombastic mecha counterpart.
- Growing the Beard: The story really gets moving once the conspiracy of the weapons suppliers is revealed, as well as the true fate of Tokimune's sister, Reika.
- Jerkass Woobie: Ukyou Samonji, particularly towards the end of the show, when the selfishness of his goals become clear.
- Magnificent Bastard: General Cayenne, whose scenes for over half the show are nearly over the top in their antagonism (audacious, provocative treatment of a protagonist; ties to the obviously corrupt Suguro; a scene where he feeds his carnivorous pet fish a live rat), but then He leads a coup and spends the last few episodes rooting out the corruption in the Arandas military and driving through artillery fire without even flinching so that he can reach the front and take personal command of the war effort. He's not a nice man, but he gets shit done.
- One True Pairing: Many fans ship Tokimune and Jamie, especially after the confession scene in episode 5.
YMMV / Shirogane No Ishi Argevollen