- Broken Base: Some people find the Mood Whiplash between the comedy and tragedy of the film too much to take. Others think it fits perfectly and find it a great film. It has a 55% review on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Since the film is literally about The End of the World as We Know It. However the film seems to be attempting to subvert this, and we get a Bittersweet Ending instead of a Downer Ending.
- Fanfic Fuel: What Dodge wrote on his letter to Olivia.
- Funny Moments: It's not a dark comedy and drama for nothing...
- Genius Bonus: There really is an asteroid called Mathilde.
- Girl-Show Ghetto: Many critics attacked the film because they saw it as a Chick Flick with apocalyptic themes.
- Heartwarming Moments: Several.
- Dodge and Penny falling in love even with the chaos around them.
- Dodge and his estranged father repairing their relationship before the end of the world.
- Love to Hate: Owen, Penny's whiny hipster Manchild ex.
- One-Scene Wonder: There's a few of them.
- Owen barely appears and has about five minutes of screen time - and yet is hilarious and Love to Hate for many.
- Karen at the party, who Dodge's friends try to set him up with. Bonus points for coming in an outrageous outfit, declaring she's wearing whatever she never wore before.
- Martin Sheen as Dodge's estranged father.
- One True Pairing: Dodge and Penny are this for fans of the film.
- Tear Jerker: Where the hell do we even START?
YMMV / Seeking a Friend for the End of the World