- Creator Worship: Malstrom maintains that "Game Gods" is choking creativity throughout the game industry, even when the flaws of certain games can't really be pinned on any particular developer.
- In particular, when Metroid fans lashed out at him for criticizing Other M, Malstrom accused them of not being fans of Metroid itself, but of Sakamoto, and unwilling to brook any criticism of him. At that time neither they nor Malstrom had seen anything more than previews of the game, nor has the Metroid fandom ever brought up Sakamoto in their comments.
- Death of the Author: Sean Malstrom holds to a variation that a developer (or producer) should know why the customers make a game a hit, not just assume their own reasons.
- Fan Myopia: He'll make one non-Nintendo related post (usually related to Blizzard or Minecraft if it isn't his latest game music entry) for every ten or fifteen posts devoted to bashing the perceived poor quality and sales of current Mario, Zelda and Metroid games. The enduring success of other franchises (such as Pokémon or Call of Duty) and consoles like the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 are brushed aside by him simply because he doesn't care about them like he does with Mario/Zelda/Metroid.
- First Installment Wins: He almost always regards the first installment in a gaming franchise to be the best—especially if the first installment was released on the NES—to the extent that he regards Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the moments when their respective franchises declined in quality. Most fans and critics disagree.
- He Panned It, Now He Sucks!: A minor example would be his dislike of 3D Mario games, but a major one would be his dislike of Metroid: Other M.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- This 2013 post is hilarious, not only because he misspells Simon Belmont and Erdrick's names or because he claims he is "done with Nintendo", but also because every single character he mentions eventually made it into Super Smash Bros.:"I'm still waiting for someone wishing to compete with the NES era instead of just rob bits and pieces from it and call it its own. What's next? Samuel Belmont in Smash Brothers? Or what about Edrick from Dragon Quest? Why not include the dog from Duck Hunt? At least people have been waiting decades to beat him up."
- Malstrom also claimed Western characters will never be allowed in Smash. King K. Rool -British- and Dark Samus -American- have joined since. Although he doesn't think Nintendo-owned properties count... which is strange, because he has called Mario and Link "Western franchises"
- This 2013 post is hilarious, not only because he misspells Simon Belmont and Erdrick's names or because he claims he is "done with Nintendo", but also because every single character he mentions eventually made it into Super Smash Bros.:
- Misblamed: He blames Miyamoto, Aonuma and Sakamoto for anything he doesn't like about Mario, Zelda and Metroid respectively, regardless of their actual involvement.
- MST3K Mantra: Everything Malstrom has ever written (whether you agree with it or not) is incapable of grasping this basic concept. His reaction to Iwata's Asks: Super Mario 3D Land is arguably the starkest and saddest example of this.
- Never Live It Down: His jabs at Sakamoto's line about "maternal instincts". Goes for both Sakamoto (because Malstrom almost always brings it up when talking about Metroid) and for Malstrom (because the jabs really irk the Metroid fanbase and are excessive to the point of seeming childishness).
- Opinion Myopia: He marginalizes or flat-out ignores the high critical and fan acclaim given to recent 3D Mario games, specifically because he perceives them as part of the "hardcore crowd" he despises so much.
- Scapegoat Creator: Malstrom blames everything he dislikes about Mario, Zelda, and Metroid on Miyamoto, Aonuma, Sakamoto or assorted creators. He isn't adverse to put words in their mouths in order to justifiy his position, and he'll refuse to admit he's wrong when he's proved wrong.
- Serious Business: See MST3K Mantra above.
- Silent Majority: He maintains that he is the unofficial spokesperson for the "casual" majority of gamers, typically in response to critics' claims that he holds fringe opinions.
- Unfortunate Implications:
- A whole lot of articles only purpose to show his sexist views.
- In his article on Link's appearance he criticized Link (calling him "gay Link") for looking more feminine and reasons that this is because Japanese have lost their warrior spirit and that Nintendo's developers are otakus who are pandering "Japanese pride parades".
- Most of his posts concerning My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic are about his complete and utter bafflement about its sizable male fanbase. He concludes that the show is actually threatening American masculinity as he knows it and, unlike other topics about things he dislikes where he complains about them, he actually fears this program because it has exerted real power over popular culture.
- He's on record as saying "Japan deserves to die" because they haven't produced in decades any entertainment to his liking:"The truth of the matter is that Japan is dying and that it deserves to die. They do not have children. They keep entering recession after recession and have been totally eclipsed economically and culturally with South Korea. Their 'cultural exports' have been utter crap lately. What is the last great Japanese video game that took the world by storm?"
YMMV / Sean Malstrom