- Heartwarming Moments:
- Sanrio began a web campaign in 2015 called Sanrio Boys, which features five male characters who unashamedly adore Sanrio's mascots. Since Japanese society tends to put the hammer down harder on those who stick out too much, especially when it comes to boys and masculinity, seeing Sanrio go against that and encourage men to feel that it's okay to like cute things is wonderfully progressive, even if it partly is to show that their products are guy-friendly as well.
- The Official Sanrio Puroland Youtube channel has a series called "メルの夢にむかってがんばる日記" starring Mell note working at Puroland cheering up guests and working at various locations in the indoor theme park Puroland. While the series itself is cute to watch, the 8th video titled "Anniversaire" shows everyone (including the cast members) celebrating Mell's birthday, mainly when everybody sings "Happy Birthday" while she is visibly touched and starts to cry a bit. The 7th video titled "Présentation" also shows Mell giving a presentation in an office. After a special announcement, the entire Puroland staff starts clapping at the rabbit and gives Mell her own stuffed animal versions of herself.
- On April 7, 2019, My Melody became a radio DJ on the internet radio network TS ONE called My Melody's My Melo Therapy in Japan. "My Melo Therapy" is hosted by My Melody where she would answer questions submitted by listeners online and offering advice while playing soothing music.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Sanrio is more popular outside of Japan than its native Japan, especially Hello Kitty (whose large quantity of bootleg merch has reached Memetic Mutation status).
- If the amount of merch is any indication, Americans love the heck out of Gudetama.
- Retsuko from Aggretsuko started gaining popularity with adults in the US, who can relate to a lot of situations and problems she faces in her work-life. She even showed up on Hot Topic's "Hot Minute" in October, 2017 and collaborated with skateboard brand Chocolate.
- Sanrio characters, especially Hello Kitty and My Melody, are also popular in China, Singapore, and Korea. Sanrio even built a third theme park called "Hello Kitty Land" which opened in 2015 at Huzou, China. A second Sanrio Theme Park at China is also scheduled for a 2024 opening at Hainan, China.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Moe: Some characters were just made to melt your heart and are asking for a good hug. Especially characters like Mell from Wish Me Mell, My Melody and her friend Piano, and Little Forest Fellow, who is extremely shy and fragile.
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: Especially Sanrio Puroland and the anime series of their characters.
- Ship Tease: Some Cinnamoroll merchandise by the company would usually feature him and his friend Mocha together. Some merchandise features her giving him a kiss or them being very caring with each other. It's taken further in the first volume of the Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll manga series where she is the first customer to notice him and have a friendly conversation with him. In Cinnamon The Movie she is the most excited to see him.
- Tear Jerker:
- Sanrio released this video titled "Messages of support from the Sanrio characters" in light of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, which also counts as Heartwarming Moments. The video features popular characters from Sanrio holding hands and moving in tune to sad and then triumphant music. Sanrio finds a way to cheer up and show some hope for their fans in Japan.
- Gudetama, a perpetually lethargic egg who has no drive in life. Doesn't help that they're a fried egg; could that be why they're in such a sorry state of mind?
YMMV / Sanrio