- Alternative Character Interpretation: Suzie can come off like kind of a jerk, especially when she demands Calvin remove women's underwear that's in a drawer in his house, as well as Harry mentioning she left him once.
- Awesome Music: "Can We Start Over" stands out as a particularly moving piece in an already-great score.
- Jerkass Woobie: On the course of the film, it becomes more and more apparent how self-absorbed and emotionally-stunted Calvin is, and how horribly he treats Ruby. And the viewer's heart breaks for him when she's gone.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The zombie movie they watch in the park, with such deaths as a man's scalp/face being yanked off his head (and then a shot of his skinned head), and a woman having her throat ripped open with such force that her whole head falls off.
- The climax: "You're a genius! You're a genius! You'reageniusyou'reageniusyou'reagenius-!"
- "Skinnamarinky dinky dink dinky do, I love you"
YMMV / Ruby Sparks