- Base-Breaking Character:
- Murfy. Helpful to some, a nuisance to others (and his unconventional gameplay in the Wii U version of Legends only made it worse). Rayman 3 attempted to try and fix Murfy's annoyance towards players by making him a Deadpan Snarker, though this incarnation is also rather divisive.
- Also Globox in some extent: funny sidekick or annoying Fat Idiot?
- Character Rerailment: In Rayman, the title character was much more laid-back and childish than he is in Rayman 2 and onwards, which portrayed him as a more serious character. Rayman Origins, on the other hand, snapped him back to his more childish persona, though not everyone is pleased with this.
- Ensemble Darkhorse:
- Mr. Dark. He's currently only appeared once in the games, and is incredibly enigmatic; fans love him!
- Also Razoff from the third game.
- Also Jano the Guardian of the Cave of Bad Dreams from the second game.
- Ly could count too, as she's immensely popular with the fanbase, and is often shipped with Rayman, despite only appearing in Rayman 2.
- The Magician as well. The first version before Retcon because of his charming and friendly personality. Or the version after retcon for his Evil All Along approach and his fanboyism towards Mr. Dark. Of course his species retcon is also a Broken Base for some.
- Fandom Rivalry: Ironically enough, with the Raving Rabbids series, Rayman fans sees the Rabbids has having stolen the spotlight away from Rayman, relegating him to a mere joke and denying him a new proper game for years (at least until Origins and Legends) as the Rabbids surpassed Rayman in terms of popularity.
- Fanon: Due to M's Tily being a Suspiciously Similar Substitute of Ly from 2, plenty of fans like to make them related somehow, whether it be sisters or cousins.
- Fanon Discontinuity: It's not uncommon to see fans hating the Rabbids with passion and rejecting their games like they never existed. Most fans of Rayman 3 don't see the Game Boy Advance game, Hoodlum's Revenge as a decent sequel. Beside this, each games in the main series being quite different, there are some who only like the original game, those who only like the 3D games, those who like the first two but not those after, a few who like the series after the second game, those who only like Legends, and a minority that have enjoyed the entire series.
- Memetic Mutation:
Ly reveals her plan... and so...Rayman: Okay Ly— Let's do it! Pancake me!Ly: Not a problem!
- GLOBOX MOMENT
- From the Disney Adventures comic based on Rayman 2.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Rayman: Raving Rabbids 2 heralded a period of time where Rayman started playing second fiddle in his own series, until eventually they didn't feature him at all. Fortunately, Rayman Origins came about and put the guy back in front and center again, soon to be followed by Rayman Legends.
YMMV / Rayman