- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: R. Kelly has had one during his live show, as Aziz Ansari describes in his standup Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening. It contained a short break showing a video of him playing basketball, and goes back on stage without a mention of the reasoning behind the video.
- Eclipsed by the Remix: Despite the fact it contains the lyrics "It's the remix to 'Ignition'", many don't know that there's a non-remixed version of Ignition. It's almost never played on radios either.
- Memetic Mutation:
- It's the remix to ignition / [insert topic] edition / this line's here to setup the / punchline rhymes with ignition
- The favourite of children everywhere: "I believe I can fly / I got shot by the FBI / All I wanted was a chicken wing..."
- Any mention of R. Kelly these days will immediately be proceeded with a piss joke.
- "My mind's tellin' me nooooooooo...BUT MA BODYYY...MA BOOODYYYYY'S TELLIN ME YEEEEEEAAHUUUUUUUSSSS" Explanation
- Which then leads to the chorus "I don't see nothing wrong... with a little prison time", alluding to his legal problems.
- "Y'ALL KILLING ME WITH THIS SHIT!!!" Explanation
- "Robert." Explanation
- The exaggerated crying he gives during Gayle King interview too.
- "I'M FIGHTIN' FOR MY FUCKIN' LIFE!"
- "...AND SO I PULL OUT MAH GUN!"
- Never Live It Down: The man must have a deep closet for all these skeletons...
- Pretty much everyone remembers him for "I Believe I Can Fly". He doesn't seem to mind though.
- The marriage to then-fifteen-year-old Aaliyah.
- The rape/micturation/sex tape scandal.
- Trapped in the Closet.
- Allegedly running a sex cult (and then responding with the 17-minute song "I Admit").
- His crazed interview with Gayle King, which made him look even less credible in light of the sex abuse allegations.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: Initially, when the allegations of his crimes came out, many fans continued to enjoy his music and support him anyway, some even going as far as to blame the victims. Despite the allegations, he still seemed to be doing fine. Then came the documentary series Surviving R. Kelly, which revealed the true depths and extents of his crimes, quickly putting an end to this and ensuring his reputation was ruined.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: Even people who aren't fans of him know about his brief marriage to Aaliyah (who was fifteen at the time) and his arrest for urinating on an underage girl, and his subsequent acquittal despite the existence of video evidence, which many found to be a disgusting example of Screw the Rules, I Have Money!. While Kelly's career was slowly going down by the late 2010s,note the bottom eventually fell out in 2019 following the release of the Lifetime documentary series Surviving R. Kelly, which showed evidence and accusations of him running a sex cult, his attempts to cover up his sexual abuse allegations, the backstory behind the trial, and having sexual affairs with women who tended to be underage. The success of the documentary saw Kelly lose virtually all of his remaining fans, with many of Kelly's collaborators (such as Lady Gaga, Jay-Z and Céline Dion), and many of those formerly close to him (his ex-wife Drea Lee and Sparkle) backing up the documentary and regretting working with him publicly, a search warrant was issued for his manager in Georgia, and RCA Records dropped him publicly. Ultimately, Kelly ended up being charged with 10 accounts of sexual abuse. He also didnt help things by going on a violent, hyperbolic rant in the middle of being interviewed by Gayle King (and at the same time made King a Memetic Badass for just calmly sitting there and not appearing the slightest bit flustered).
- Signature Song: "I Believe I Can Fly", "Bump N Grind" or "Ignition (Remix)".
- Tastes Like Diabetes: The overly sweet "I Believe I Can Fly" for some people.
YMMV / R. Kelly